Author Topic: Definition of Web Office 2009  (Read 24429 times)

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Definition of Web Office 2009
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »
There appears to be no official Milestone 2 to followup on Milestone 1.  However there are many suggested apps in this Development\Applications board. Some seem to resonate with people, and others do not.

Part of what I think may be the problem is that the definition of a web office was started, but not fully fleshed out.  Time lines for new OG releases seem to not be following any particular road map, and I'm wondering if it is time to revisit this again? Without a road map, or regularly updated definition of a web office, people will suggest what they think is valuable to them, you will add what you think is valuable to you, but there will be no agreed-upon common ground upon which to reference when deciding.

Other considerations:

1. Will only open source applications be allowed? If so, what licenses are acceptable and which are not? The advantage to this is that if a particular application does not/does meet this criteria, then it is easy to reject/approve as a possible candidate for inclusion.

2. What about using a wrapper or include so that non-foss or officially-rejected applications can be added into an OG tab by the community (for unsupported customization and functional extension)?

3. Is the definition of web office changing? How? Are the lines blurring between web applications and desktop applications, and how does this affect the strategic direction of OG?

4. You might consider using polls to field some questions to the community rather than just wait for post replies, which have proven to be sparse. People might be inclined to click on a poll but don't feel they want to contribute their thoughts for whatever reason.

5. Finally, what categories of applications should be included in OG, as compared to Milestone 1? For instance, there are currently no forum, blog or photo apps yet these are priority 2, yet there is an alpha spreadsheet which is priority 3.  Have these priorities changed, or have the categories of applications changed?

6. Comparing OG to other platforms, is OG headed in the same direction as was originally thought?

food for thought!  :)
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

paulscallanjr

• MSN Messenger - paulscallanjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Definition of Web Office 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:47:57 am »
I think the developers of OpenGoo are on the right course... not attributing too much time/resources on wild goose chases... sticking to basics....

I have tested many, many "web office" suites... none compare right now with OpenGoo... simple as that... I have some qualms with some of the features I need, but are absent... but time will solve these issues, I feel sure...

the main thing to remember, I think, is that, "we" need a lightweight, but feature-rich web-accessible offfice suite.  PERIOD.  The features currently inclusive in OpenGoo meet (and rather in my opinion set the standard for other "sever-based" office suites) meet the minimums.  Sure, there are mods, I'd like to see... i have posted about them... time, time, time.... give it time.....
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

Toyokix

• ICQ Messenger - 352841243
    • MSN Messenger - ginwildzopha1974@yandex.ru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Toyokix
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Toyokix
    • View Profile
    • батарея для ноутбука тошиба
    • Email
Definition of Web Office
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:45:00 pm »
Hi,

Anyone here knowledgeable with Polycom Web Office? Wants to know if this would be useful together with the MGC. Thanks.